[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg4win problems--related? (explorer crash, enigmail cannot find enigmime)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 23 12:06:14 CEST 2014

On Saturday 12 April 2014 at 20:49:24, Neil Richardson (mail filter) wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, I wanted to try to be as thorough as possible
> in the steps I was testing.

No problem, I was away from the list for a few days also.

> Before doing any of the tests you suggested I uninstalled gpg4win,
> scrubbed references of "gpg" from the registry (list of keys removed
> is available if needed", deleted the Start Menu folder, etc.  The
> only thing I didn't do was delete the environment variable pointing
> to the [non-standard] folder where I keep my public/private keys
> (nor did I delete my keyrings).

Would it work on a different machine or without that environment variable?

What irritates me is that we do not have consistent reports about this kind of
crash and it worked in our tests, so I conclide that one working hypothesis
is that something is different with your setup. And we need to find out
what. :)

> Then I reinstalled gpg4win, and used the command-line to "--verify"
> the digital signature of a file, and it worked perfectly.  But when
> I did right-click on the signature and tried to verify, Explorer
>
> crashed again.  :-(  Then I tried the tests you suggested:
> >Try a command line operation to see if your crypto backend is set up
> >okay.
> >E.g.  gpg2 --list-keys
>
> This worked fine.
>
> >gpg2 --list-secret-keys
>
> This worked fine.
>
> >gpg2 --clearsign x.txt
>
> This worked, it even brought up a UI window named "pinenter" for my
> password (which really surprised me given that the rest of the UI
> was CLI. :-)

The gpg-agent will bring up a graphical "pinentry" if there is a GUI
available. There also exists a text based one.
The tests mean that your crypto engine seems to be set up correctly.

> Do you have any other suggestions I can try?

If you can:
Try on a completely different machine?
Maybe we can narrow down the area of the possible difference.

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner