[Gpg4win-users-en] Error when decrypting a file with kleopatra

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 19 10:05:00 CET 2014

Hi Fabian,

On Wednesday 19 February 2014 at 09:54:13, Fabian Nick wrote:
> (I'm sending this e-mail a second time now since my first attempt from
> yesterday morning should have been "moderated" since it had an attachment,

we get lots of spam, so usually it is a good idea to send small
emails when you are subscribed and use a link to a different site
if you really must refer to large attachments.
Typing in the message often is the better way, because other people
can search for it later. :)

> We encrypted a file with the key he sent us and sent the file back to him.
> When he tries to decrypt the file (with kleopatra according to the
> screenshot he sent us), he sees the following error message:
>
> "Could not determine whether this is an S/MIME or an OpenPGP signature -
> maybe it is not a signature at all?"
>
> This seems wierd to me since we shouldn't be dealing with a signature
> here?! However the dialog box in the screenshot is titled "Decrypt/Verify
> Files" - that doesn't seem to be that wrong at all?!

There are files that are combined encrypted and signed,
thus GnuPG looks for both. The message basically should mean that it has not
encountered a OpenPGP structure.

> I'd be glad if someone good bring some light into this, since I usually
> work on the command line and haven't used kleopatra that often yet...

My recommendation for further analysis is:
a) try to open the file in question with an editor (or a safe unzip command
or "file" on GNU/Linux) to see what it may be.
b) Try the decryption on the command line (as you revealed that you could use
it), e.g. gpg2 -vvv -d

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner