[Gpg4win-users-en] The key has only a public part

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 3 10:21:51 CEST 2014

On Wednesday 02 July 2014 at 18:02:32, eMyListsDDg wrote:
> > you have probably created both: a secret and a public certificate.
> > For a technial diagnosis, try "gpg2 -K" on a cmd.com.
>
> that lists all the key pairs, sec & ssb, but not the one listed with only
> one key in the graphical gpa dialog. the one i'm having problems with

> it was encrypted with correct pub cert. when attempting decrypt, this is
> returned, gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

To me this indicates a higher chance that something with your
secret key creation did not go well.
(A first step for GnuPG service technicians for diagnosis is:
Try the operation on the command line, this way you can exclude
many gui related problem sources. I've also added this hint to
http://wiki.gnupg.org/TroubleShooting)

I still consider it very unlikely that the crypto backend will have created
only the public certificate. It does not make sense, because the public
certificate must be signed by the secret cert. So the secret cert must have
been somewhere at least for a short period.

Let us try to search for it next.
Using "gpg2 -vvv -K" gives you the location of secring.gpg
check it is there, its access permission, enough discspace, last written?

Is it possible that you may have created the secret certificate
in a different place somewhere? Maybe search for secring.gpg on your network
and local drives? USB sticks?

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner