[Gpg4win-users-en] The key has only a public part

eMyListsDDg emylistsddg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 00:36:16 CEST 2014

> On Wednesday 02 July 2014 at 18:02:32, eMyListsDDg wrote:
>> > you have probably created both: a secret and a public certificate.
>> > For a technial diagnosis, try "gpg2 -K" on a cmd.com.

>> that lists all the key pairs, sec & ssb, but not the one listed with only
>> one key in the graphical gpa dialog. the one i'm having problems with

>> it was encrypted with correct pub cert. when attempting decrypt, this is
>> returned, gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

> To me this indicates a higher chance that something with your
> secret key creation did not go well.
> (A first step for GnuPG service technicians for diagnosis is:
> Try the operation on the command line, this way you can exclude
> many gui related problem sources. I've also added this hint to
> http://wiki.gnupg.org/TroubleShooting)

see below

> I still consider it very unlikely that the crypto backend will have created
> only the public certificate. It does not make sense, because the public
> certificate must be signed by the secret cert. So the secret cert must have
> been somewhere at least for a short period.

> Let us try to search for it next.
> Using "gpg2 -vvv -K" gives you the location of secring.gpg
> check it is there, its access permission, enough discspace, last written?

> Is it possible that you may have created the secret certificate
> in a different place somewhere? Maybe search for secring.gpg on your network
> and local drives? USB sticks?

i found it. it was on one of my linux VM's. seems when i exported this particular key-pair to import into gpg on another machine, all didn't go well. i'll need to clean this up a bit and regenerate things.

thanks for pointing this out. now i can fix this.

--
Bill
Key fingerprint = DB4D 251B FE8A BDCD 2BE4  E889 13F1 78D0 A386 B32B