[Gpg4win-users-en] How do I exit the text editor in gpg?

David Kronlid david at kronlid.net
Mon Nov 17 12:33:25 CET 2014

It's a mystery to me why all these different combinations exist for
exiting, when there is a key on the keyboard specifically designed for
exiting. Why do so few programmers like to use the Esc key for exiting?
It's a mystery to me, when the escape key has been on the keyboard "for
ever" and still often is unused by programs several decades after it was
put there for this specific purpose. I guess the answer is that programmers
are not even half as smart as they think they are. ;-)
It's as stupid as creating a computer where the on/off button wouldn't turn
on the computers power but instead would type the letter G, or the Shift
key would type the letter A, or pressing the A-key would type 143, and
left-clicking the mouse would turn on the computer and right-clicking would
turn it off.

There is also a similar Brake-key that's almost never used(Ctrl+Pause/Brake
or Fn+Pause/Brake on my computers), so there are actually two different
keys for exiting. Esc is the softer exit key, while brake is the harder
exit key that was supposed to make the operating system entirely stop and
exit a program.

Instead "dumb" programmers try to make their programs harder to use by
creating a number of different ways of exiting, like Ctrl+C, Q, Ctrl+Q,
Ctrl+D, Ctrl+Z, F10, F12, ~qy, etc. It's obviously easier for mankind to
send people to the moon, than it is for programmers to agree to use the
most logical and user friendly keys on the keyboard. ;-)

While this is not an answer to the question, it's a funny discussion
related to the matter so please forgive me for sharing my thoughts. :-)

/David