[Gpg4win-users-en] Copy-paste deactivated in Gpg4win 2.2.2

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 28 08:49:03 CET 2014

Hi Anders,

On Monday 27 October 2014 at 19:32:01, PrivacyDefence wrote:
> I installed the full version of Gnupg4win 2.2.2 (not using the wizard)
> and noticed that pinentry-qt4.exe was now in the GnuPG folder. I then
> opened Thunderbird and ran the Enigmail Setup Wizard. This time, no
> problem! Copy and paste worked!

ah, very good, you have confirmed that the modern pinentry-qt4
suits your needs. And you have found a way to serve users right now.

> For the sake of double-checking I tried again while including all
> components but with Gnupg4win 2.2.2 installed via the Enigmail Setup
> Wizard. Copy-paste was deactivated as previously described (on the exact
> same virtual PC). And again pinentry-qt4.exe was missing.
>
> So the issue only occurs when Gnupg4win is installed as part of the
> Enigmail Setup Wizard. However, I cant tell which Gnupg4win is installed
> in each scenario, the full or the light edition.

It seems that the Enigmail Setup Wizard should be improved to install
the full Gpg4win default installer to bring the feature to users.
The arguments against using the default installer that I know are:
a) size
b) additional code/applications that may not be wanted.

My point would be that the size of the Gpg4win regular installer for download
and installation is not a lot comparing it to many other applications and
video downloads that many people do today or what vendors preinstall on the
machines. So this is getting less and less and issue. As for b), you have
just shown that pinentry-qt4.exe is a needed feature, the gpgme and uiserver
(like Kleo) do provide functions that some users want and need, so I think
they should be shipped by default.

Can you or someone open an issue with Enigmail to explain this issue?

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner