[Gpg4win-users-en] Problems with Gpg4Win Verification Operations (and a couple of apparent bugs)

L LSmok3 at riseup.net
Fri May 29 03:56:29 CEST 2015

And now successfully preceded by Key (asc) importation. Indeed, now the
output shows both primary (key) fingerprint and sub (sig) fingerprint,
as well as the RSA (absent from GUI execution). A few notes, then, for
anyone to whom it may concern:

1) The Gpg4Win GUI is faulty, and a cause of much trouble. It cannot be
used in verification to gain the data available with the command line,
though the key (asc) importation will provide immediate access to ID,
fingerprint, and RSAs.
2) The Gpg4Win GUI cannot produce sha256sums: an alternative application
is required. (For this I used RapidCRCUnicode, in its Portable Apps form.)
3) Online command lists for Gnu command line are also misleading. Do not
run gpg.exe, and precede commands by two hyphens not one. The only two
commands really required are import and verify: "gpg --import [path, key
(ie. asc) file)]" and "gpg --verify [path, sig file] [path, data file]",
along with trusting and signing. Include full paths to asc, sig and data
files. External locations appear to be unworkable (I lack much
experience in command line to explain why, but perhaps this is a command
line limitation).
4) If the Tails key (asc file) is imported using the GUI, this should
produce the expected data (as above, origin Tails developers - dates, ID
-58ACD84F - primary key fingerprint-
A490D0F4D311A4153E2BB7CADBB802B258ACD84F - and constituent RSAs -
DBB802B258ACD84F, 98FEC6BC752A3DB6 and 3C83DCB52F699C56).
5) "Completely Trusting" the key will not have it appear in the Trusted
keys field (a bug or misdescription).
6) If the sig and iso are verified using the GUI after key importation,
this will produce only the Tails subkey fingerprint
(BA2C222F44AC00ED9899389398FEC6BC752A3DB6: the one that was located on a
Debian list, but fails to be mentioned on the Tails site).
7) If the key (asc file) is imported using the command line, it will
show origin and key ID (Tails Developers, 58ACD84F).
8) If the sig and iso are verified using the command line without
initial key importation, they will show part of the RSAs, seen in the
subkey fingerprint (752A3DB6).
9) If the sig and iso are verified after key (asc) importation, they
will show "Good signature", and the origin (Tails Developers), and both
primary and subkey fingerprints (A490 D0F4 D311 A415 3E2B B7CA DBB8 02B2
58AC D84F and BA2C 222F 44AC 00ED 9899 3893 98FE C6BC 752A 3DB6).

I hope that aids anyone who encounters the problems I did, should they
locate these notes, and perhaps suggests a number of rectifications
needed to the Gpg4Win and Tails data.