[Gpg4win-users-en] Switch from GPLv2 to GPLv3?

Peter Rust peter at cornerstonenw.com
Thu Oct 15 16:43:49 CEST 2015

Andre,

Thanks for the quick response!

> as it packages a combination of software which is partly
> licensed under the GPLv3 the GPLv3 applies to the combination

Cool, I didn't know that.

> Not sure about that and what you mean with spawn

This is regarding an existing (commercial) application that currently
downloads and installs its own updates via zip files. We're experimenting
with signing those update zip files on the server via "gpg --sign" and
verifying the signature on the client via "gpg --decrypt".

So the only piece of gpgp4win that I'm redistributing / including in our
application's client is the "gpg" executable and a few DLLs that it depends
on. I got these from the gpg4win project because it was the only place I
could find precompiled binaries, but I suppose the source code for these
binaries is all from the gpg project itself.

> My suggestion would be that you make the source installer and the source
package available

I assume you mean putting source installer on our website & allowing users
to download it from us -- that would work and we'll do it if necessary, but
it's a bit more work and IMO less useful to any interested parties than a
link to the official gpg/gpg4win source installer, which (from what I've
read) the GPLv3 allows but the GPLv2 doesn't.

But since the binary/DLLs I'm distributing is from the GnuPG GPLv3 sources,
I think I'm fine...

-- peter