[Gpg4win-users-en] Switch from GPLv2 to GPLv3?

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Thu Oct 15 17:08:17 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Thursday 15 October 2015 07:43:49 Peter Rust wrote:
> So the only piece of gpgp4win that I'm redistributing / including in our
> application's client is the "gpg" executable and a few DLLs that it depends
> on. I got these from the gpg4win project because it was the only place I
> could find precompiled binaries, but I suppose the source code for these
> binaries is all from the gpg project itself.

Uh in that case providing completely unrelated sources from Gpg4win (e.g. for
Kleopatra and Qt) would really not be the right thing.

Take a look at:
https://gnupg.org/download/index.html

At the bottom of this page is "GnuPG binary releases" your use case sounds
like you want to use gpgv.exe from the "Simple installer for GnuPG classic".

This is a dedicated tool to verify OpenPGP signatures.

> > My suggestion would be that you make the source installer and the source
>
> package available
>
> I assume you mean putting source installer on our website & allowing users
> to download it from us -- that would work and we'll do it if necessary, but
> it's a bit more work and IMO less useful to any interested parties than a
> link to the official gpg/gpg4win source installer, which (from what I've
> read) the GPLv3 allows but the GPLv2 doesn't.
>
> But since the binary/DLLs I'm distributing is from the GnuPG GPLv3 sources,
> I think I'm fine...

The point is afaik that if you distribute a binary you are responsible to also
provide the code (at least when asked). But I am not a Lawyer ;-)

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/