[Gpg4win-users-en] Crashes in gpg4win 3.0.3

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Jan 15 09:01:23 CET 2018

Hi,

On Saturday 13 January 2018 00:08:20 CET David Kronlid wrote:
> I just installed gpg4win 3.0.3 on a computer which previously didn't have
> gpg. It runs win 7 64-bit. I unchecked GPA and GPGOL during installation.
>
> In about 20 minutes it already has crashed about 5 times. Dirmngr and
> kleopatra are the ones crashing again and again. It crashes both if I open
> kleopatra from the windows start menu or if I use the explorer extension.

That is indeed strange, some security software might block Dirmngr actions and
cause an error state we have not yet handled, but then Kleopatra should not
crash.

> Also when I imported a key from a key server I once ended up getting 2 OK
> buttons to choose from and no Cancel button. I have too little information
> to figure out if this simply is a GUI/programming error or if it's related
> to the crash bug(s) in kleopatra and dirmngr.
>
> If you want me to file a bug report please let me know if there are any log
> files or debug packages I can install in order to make a bug report that
> gives enough information.

If you figure out how to reproduce this please report a bug under dev.gnupg.org

> I have used gpg on Linux and gpg4win on Windows for many years so if you
> just point me in the right direction I might help find the problems causing
> the crashes.

For the crash (again a ticket in dev.gnupg.org) would be best.

The interesting logs would be the dirmngr log:
(Create or edit %APPDATA%\gnupg\dirmngr.conf) and put in there:

	debug-level guru
	log-file c:\some_writable_path\to_a_logfile.txt

For Kleopatra:

	Start debug view ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/
debugview ) and filter for lines starting with: org.kde.pim

Thanks for your help analysing this.

Best Regards,
Andre

--