[Gpg4win-users-en] PGP4Win Trouble to connect to sks server

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon May 28 08:12:32 CEST 2018

Hi,

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 4:32:38 PM CEST Elude - Goethe wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I've recently got an error when tried to connect to any keyserver from
GPG4Win 3.1.1. Kleopatra and GPA can't retrieve or upload any PGP key.
> Looks like some issue with DNS resolvance, because after I set Kleopatra to
use TOR keyserver hkp://jirk5u4osbsr34t5.onion, it got connected successfully.
> When I boot PC to the "Safe Mode with networking" it also works fine.
> What could be the cause of of this bloody trouble? Anyone can help?

Mmmh, speculation, but maybe if TOR is available gnupg tries to do the DNS
over TOR and you are not using the TOR Server so it somehow fails?

You could try to add "no-use-tor" to %APPDATA%\gnupg\dirmngr.conf (create the
file if it does not exist) and kill any running dirmngr process before testing
again. This disables all TOR access.

Which SKS keyserver pool are you trying?
maybe try another pool from https://sks-keyservers.net/overview-of-pools.php

Best Regards,
Andre

--