[Gpg4win-users-en] Is the use of Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) to encrypt email messages on the decline?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 18 15:13:16 CET 2019

Dear Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming,

Am Samstag 16 März 2019 14:47:34 schrieb Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming:
> Is the use of Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) to encrypt email messages on the
> decline? It seems that not many people are using PGP to encrypt email
> messages nowadays.

on my personal account I haven't seen a decline and I'd rather guess that we
are raising the numbers over the years. However it is hard to get verifiable
numbers. At least email usage has been constantly strong.

> From the textbook, I understand that PGP is a combination of symmetric and
> asymmetric encryption algorithms (hybrid encryption algorithm).
> Asymmetric encryption algorithm is also known as public key cryptography.

Sounds about right.
The standard OpenPGP 4880 and the upcoming RFC 4880bis maybe worth a look
if you are interested in more details.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy#OpenPGP

A long standing challenge of OpenPGP was how to find the public key of other
people, a modern solution that is becoming more widespead is
  https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKD

Best Regards,