[Gpg4win-users-en] Update

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at gnupg.org
Mon May 25 08:28:19 CEST 2020

Hi,

On Monday 25 May 2020 03:04:36 CEST gpg4win.2020 at nym.hush.com wrote:
> Guys, I didn't think of this until now, but I pulled up the
> documentation for the scdaemon and the gpg-connect-agent.  Juggled
> some commands around in Command Prompt and well whadayaknow...
> cd C:Program Files (x86)GnuPGbingpg-connect-agent.exe helplearn
> --force
> BAM!   Done, that command above "learn --force" pulled the "shadows"
> of the private keys from the smartcard...I guess these "shadows" are
> what tell Kleopatra to look at the smartcard for the secret
> key...guesses there since I'm figured this out on the fly and reading
> up on things as I run into problems.

Yes, for S/MIME Smartcards you can do a "gpgsm --learn-card" directly. I think
"gpg --card-status" would also have worked.

> So I guess as long as these "shadows" don't contain any parts of the
> private keys, but are indeed only "shadows" that say to look at the
> smartcard then I'm good now  :-)

Yes, you can look in the files, they basically say that "A key with this
keygrip is available on the smartcard with the ID X"

> Guess I'm really looking forward to GnuPG v2.3 when the smartcard
> support is may be going to be better cuz ummmm this should've been
> automatic and not needed me to go into the Command Prompt to tell the
> already running agent process to learn a card when it's inserted into
> the reader.  I'm not complaining but only saying that others won't
> figure this out in the future...

We totally agree with that. Our goal is to have it "plug and play" where
ideally we could also fetch the public key from a smarcard also for OpenPGP.

For S/MIME Gpg4win-3.1.12 will already add this autmation to GpgOL (https://
dev.gnupg.org/T4877 )

Improved Smartcard support and GUI for that is currently one of our
development priorities.

Best Regards,
Andre

--
GnuPG.com - a brand of g10 Code, the GnuPG experts.

g10 Code GmbH, Erkrath/Germany, AG Wuppertal HRB14459
GF Werner Koch, USt-Id DE215605608, www.g10code.com.

GnuPG e.V., Rochusstr. 44, D-40479 Düsseldorf.  VR 11482 Düsseldorf
Vorstand: W.Koch, B.Reiter, A.Heinecke        Mail: board at gnupg.org
Finanzamt D-Altstadt, St-Nr: 103/5923/1779.   Tel: +49-211-28010702