[Inteproxy-devel] Proposal for extending the Windows Installer

Stephan Holl stephan.holl at intevation.de
Wed Jun 11 13:03:55 CEST 2008

Hello Jan-Oliver,

"Jan-Oliver Wagner" <jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de>, [20080610 -
23:09:46]

> Hello,
>
> IMHO we should extend the so-far quite simply Windows installer
> with some cleverness to ease the configuration routine for InteProxy:
>
>  * Test for Adminstrator rights
>  if no: Issue error "You should be Adminstrator to install and
> configure InteProxy for your system."

Yes, needed it you want to tweak regisitry-setting below.

>  * Offer 3 installation types:
>
>  1. "Simply installation without setting or changing any environment
>  variables or registry entries. Inteproxy users will need to do
> settings on their own to use Inteproxy."
>   -> Just unpack things and create menu entry as it is done with the
> current installer.
>
>  2. "Installation as web-proxy per application. Inteproxy users will
> need to set the Inteproxy HTTP address explicitely as web-proxy in
> the respective applications (which might not always be possible,
> better check first)." -> Offer entry "Set proxy where InteProxy
> should redirect http request:". This value is to written to the
> system wide environment variables "http_proxy" and defaulted with the
> contents of the currently defined global web proxy
> (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>      Settings)
>
>  3. "Installation as system-wide web-proxy. Be aware that any HTTP
> request will then have to pass InteProxy, though unprocessed if not
> configured as a secured OWS."
>  -> Copy currently specified system wide proxy from the registry to
> the system wide environment variable "http_proxy". Then set the
>  registry to the "localhost:64609"

All 3 options seem necessary, if we want the flexibility.

> Deinstallation routine should:
>  * Remove "http_proxy" settings upon request (perhaps a checkbox
> "Remove system wide environment variable http_proxy settings.")

shouldnt we restore the proxy-sitution as it was before installation of
InteProxy?

>  * Move contents of http_proxy back to global registry.
>  (perhaps also checkbox "Re-enable old proxy XXXXX as systemwide
> proxy".

yes, this semms good.

> Does this make sense?

yes, perfectly.
We need to make sure that all system-users have a Desktop-Icon on their
desktop which can be editable. This is needed to pass the
config-file-name and other stuff to the inteproxy start, which can be
different for different users on that computer.

> Anything forgotten?
> (further things come to mind such as autostart stuff but perhaps
> this is something to be done later on)

It would be neccessary to start inteproxy during autostart when
choosing option 3 above, otherwise no network will be available.

yes, also some artwork (nice icons, etc.)

Best

	Stephan

--
Stephan Holl <stephan.holl at intevation.de>, http://intevation.de/~stephan
Tel: +49 (0)541-33 50 8 32 | Intevation GmbH | AG Osnabrück - HR B 18998