[Gpg4win-devel] Broken claws mail from gpg4win package on the site

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Fri Jan 10 16:47:22 CET 2014

Am Fri, 10 Jan 2014 03:15:23 +0200
schrieb Cristian Baboi <cristian.baboi at gmail.com>:

> "Dr. Peter Voigt" <pvoigt at uos.de> wrote:
> >Am Thu, 09 Jan 2014 00:13:05 +0200
> >schrieb Cristian Baboi <cristian.baboi at gmail.com>:

> >> I find it strange that it came with it own copy of gpg but is
> >> missing libintl-8.dll.

> >> Probably I have it in gnupg from gpg4win.
> >>

> >Well, please let me shortly summarize how I currently understood you,
> >because I am close to losing the red line:
> >
> >Your claws-mail-3.9.2git55-pkg43.exe complains about a missing
> >libintl-8.dll but it is obviously on your system and decrypting
> >S/MIME messages is working well. Is this right?
>
> I have it on the system. I don't have it in the path.
>
> gpgsm has worked from the beginning.  Encryption with Claws Mail has
> worked from the beginning.
>
> Only on opening encrypted mail, the version of Claws Mail from
> gpg4win has freezed. The logs revealed mostly nothing. Only an error
> of communication with gpgagent at some step.
>
> The windows versions of Claws Mail from the Claws Mail site
> complained about missing libintl-8.dll, but worked anyway after a few
> nagging message boxes.
>
> The ancient Linux version from Debian 6 worked.

OK, thanks.

> >Otherwise I agree with you: If Claws Mail needs libintl-8.dll it
> >should ship this library the same way it does with its own GPG
> >version. Bernhard, could you please drop a line one this.
> >
> >Let me state that none of all my installed Claws Mail, regardless if
> >it is a Gpg4win shipped version or a "native" version from the Claws
> >Mail site, ever complained about a missing libintl-8.dll. Is your
> >libintl-8.dll in your Windows system path?
>

> I don't have it in the path. I don't use the command line. There are
> other dlls used by Claws Mail which have different versions in
> gpg4win. Your Claws Mail may be picking the wrong versions.

I am mostly working with gpg/gpgsm on the command line. You are
generally right. And even more: I think it is not the recommended way
to install gpg4win and a stock Claws Mail on top. The gpg4win
shipped version is a bit outdated. Having jsut gpg4win in my path is no
problem when working with gpg/gpgsm. I would more likely expect
difficulties when having Claws Mail in my path as well.

Regards,
Peter