[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win and Claws Mail

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Jul 14 06:03:24 CEST 2015

On 13/07/2015 10:56 pm, Andrej Kacian wrote:

>> I'd suggest that you keep gpgme and use it to interface with an
>> existing GnuPG installation. I did it that way back when I packaged
>> KMail / Kontact for Windows. The package had it's own Gpgme library
>> but relied on an installed Gpg4win for all other components.
>
> you are of course correct, we would need to keep gpgme, so that our
> GPG plugins can actually compile and load.
>
> What we can remove from our package is GnuPG itself, GPA, GpgEX,
> Dirmngr, maybe even pinentry.

Pinentry ought to be installed with GnuPG itself since it's an
essential component these days.  Well, kind of optional(-ish) with
2.0, but absolutely required with 2.1 and the rewrite of gpg-agent.
Those people without it are most likely to be using 1.4 and won't need
it anyway.

Besides, as long as GPGME can find the local installation of whichever
version of GPG is installed and working and play nicely with it, it
shouldn't matter what other components are active as GPG will bring
them into focus as required.  There might, however, be some additional
requirements when compiling GPGME in the future if it is used to
integrate directly with libassuan, for example.  Plus it might be
necessary to compile versions for the three main branches; classic
(1.4), stable (2.0) and modern (2.1).  Or it might not, I haven't
tried removing the 2.1 branch from my system just to see if GPGME
finds and uses 1.4 correctly.

Regards,
Ben