[Gpg4win-devel] how to make new gpg frontend available to users.

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 25 16:06:29 CEST 2006

At Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:31:58 +0530,
"Vineet Madan" <vineet1408 at gmail.com> wrote:
> i am building a frontend in vc++for gpg.  using gpg1.4.5.
> Besides that using md5 and sha1.exe to be included separately which i
> downloaded from the internet.
> i have not used any libraries or other material other than this. ofcourse to
> learn to build this i have read variuos books, links, and references .

Okay, that sounds easy enough.  However, please take note that you are
probably using the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime and other system
libraries.  This does not cause an incompatibility with the GPL, as
the GPL allows for certain exceptions in this area, but you should be
aware of it.  Also, of course, you need to pay attention to the
Microsoft license conditions for the use of their libraries.  I can't
tell you about them.

> source code is mine...as i have written it myself. so no libraries ...i
> didn't know how to use and which to use....i learnt vc++ to do my
> job..that's all. but yes my fronend does basic job of gpg using only gpg
> behind the scene..... and i have done coding using visual studio 6.

My advice is to learn about libraries as quickly as possible.  In the
case of Windows, this would mean to learn how to integrate DLLs into
your project and use them.  We have written a library, GPGME, which
makes use of GPG easier from a program.  It takes care of all the
communication between the application and GPG.  GPG4Win includes the
GPGME library (it is installed along with WinPT and Sylpheed).  The
GPGME Manual is available online, for example at
http://pyme.sourceforge.net/doc/gpgme/

> i don't know what is a licence, how to write it , what are other things to
> be done...since you often see so i thought it's a formality

You should not need to write a license.  There are many licenses out
there which are widely used and have been thoroughly tested.  I gave
you the link to GPL compatible licenses.  I would advise you to browse
through them and have a look.

> i just wanted that the work i have done should be acknowledged on my name
> and i should get feed back frm users as to how could i improve it to make it
> to a state at which it should be.

I don't know if you can force people to give you feedback via a
license or not, but in any case I would advise against attempting so
via a license.

The requirement to preserve acknowledgment is part of all licenses I
know about.  The "Modified BSD" licenses does not have any further
restrictions, I include a copy below.  It's advantage is that it is
short and relatively easy to understand.

Note that the BSD license is very liberal, in that it for example
allows somebody to take your code, integrate it into their proprietary
product with just an acknowledgment.

The GPL does add further restrictions, by requiring that any derived
work that is published must also be under the GPL.  This ensures that
the software stays free software even when modified and/or
incorporated into other works.  This is the license that GnuPG is
licensed under.

> what aspects are to be looked after  other than coding i am not aware. so
> please educate me in simple terms........

I wish it were simple :) Unfortunately, it is not.  However, there are
resources to help you out.  At the minimum, put a copyright notice on
each file, and add a license to your project.  This will ensure that
people can legally download and use your software.

> i repeat that as of now i have the frontend ready to some aspect, final
> completion would take a little more time and all i have is a working
> frontend with its source code....what all to be done next.pl educate me....

Again, I think it is very helpful to take a look at other projects and
look how they do it.  If you send me a draft package of your software
before releasing it, I can take a look and make some specific
suggestions.

Thanks,
Marcus

Modified BSD license:
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/COPYRIGHT2.html#5

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

   1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
   3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.