[Gpg4win-devel] Building Kleopatra / KDE and current Git installer on Debian Squeeze

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Dec 7 13:04:33 CET 2012

On Fri,  7 Dec 2012 11:09, aheinecke at intevation.de said:

> 4. gtk: I've needed to add --disable-cups to the gpg4win_pkg_gtk_configure
> variable. Otherwise it would fail because cups.h was not installed in the
> target prefix but it did find cups-config. I've commited a fix for this.

Well, I don't use cups.  As a good Unix citizen I have always used a
Postscript printer (or gs) and apsfilter.  However, I can see that it is
hard these days to make a life without cups.

> libglib2.0-dev latex-xcolor subversion icecc wget libjpeg62-dev libpng12-dev
> zlib1g-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libssl-dev libx11-dev libxext-dev

I wonder why we need most of these development packages.  If they are
needed, it means that the Windows software is being build using header
files of the build system and not of the target (i.e. Windows).  This is
error prone because it assumes that the header files are identical.

To solve this problem we need to check that the build system's header
files are never picked up when building for Windows.  I am not sure how
this can be done.  The GnuPG related foo-config scripts and M4 macros
compare the version and issue a warning but most other software does
not.  Eventually we need to write a sanity checker to detect such
possible flaws.

For some libraries tools are required to run on the build machine during
the build for Windows.  This is the reason for some of the -dev package.
A saner approach would be to build the library first for the build
platform and only then for the target.  Uhh, quite some work.

Using a dedicated virtual machine for building might be a good idea.
This would also solve the problems for Fedora or Suse users.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner