[Gpg4win-devel] Building Kleopatra / KDE and current Git installer on Debian Squeeze

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Dec 7 14:34:58 CET 2012

Hi,

At Friday 07 December 2012 13:04:33 schrieben Sie:
> On Fri,  7 Dec 2012 11:09, aheinecke at intevation.de said:
> > libglib2.0-dev latex-xcolor subversion icecc wget libjpeg62-dev
> > libpng12-dev zlib1g-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libssl-dev
> > libx11-dev libxext-dev
>
> I wonder why we need most of these development packages.  If they are
> needed, it means that the Windows software is being build using header
> files of the build system and not of the target (i.e. Windows).  This is
> error prone because it assumes that the header files are identical.
I do not think this happens. This is handled during configuration and I don't
include /usr/include or /include when building windows binaries and I doubt
this is done somewhere explictly. Otherwise it would also have found cups.h
on my system, for example.

Those packages are needed because the buildscripts I've used build some native
code from kdelibs, automoc and kdewin because of needed tools for
crosscompilation. Those tools do not need all those packages but afaik you
can not disable all of them in kdelibs configuration.

> For some libraries tools are required to run on the build machine during
> the build for Windows.  This is the reason for some of the -dev package.
> A saner approach would be to build the library first for the build
> platform and only then for the target.  Uhh, quite some work.
Why should we build them for the build platform if we have -dev packages
available? I rather believe that the better approach to the kdelibs-tools
stuff mentioned above would be to just use the kdelibs4-dev package from
debian.

> Using a dedicated virtual machine for building might be a good idea.
> This would also solve the problems for Fedora or Suse users.
Yes, the kde scripts for building gpg4win were intended to be run in a
pbuilder enviornment afaik and I guess if we give them some love they could
be used in that way again. But wouldn't a dedicated virtual machine for
building gpg4win on Fedora or Suse just be a debian vm?

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262 |  http://www.intevation.de/