[Gpg4win-devel] License page (was: Putty and ECDSA support for gpg-agent in 2.0)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 5 19:10:53 CEST 2013

On Fri,  5 Jul 2013 17:29, aheinecke at intevation.de said:

>  - Uh installation done. Let's close this dialog.
>  -> I can't close it. Mmh do I have to do something else?
>  - Ah there is a checkbox. Let me click it.
>  -> Now I can close the dialog.

Exactly.

While we are it:  We need to rework the license page.  As of now it
displays the GPLv2.  That is correct regarding the installer but wrong
for most other software distributed with the installer.  For example
GnuPG is under the GPLv3.  We could cat all used licenses in this
Windows but that is a long text nobody will ever read or use.

The README file which is displayed at the end of the installation has a
section "Legal notices pertaining to the individual packets" which
starts with this paragraph:

  Gpg4win consist of several independent developed packages, available
  under different license conditions.  Most of these packages however
  are available under the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL).  Common
  to all is that they are free to use without restrictions, may be
  modified and that modifications may be distributed.  If the source
  files (i.e. gpg4win-src-x.y.z.exe) are distributed along with the
  binaries and the use of the GNU GPL has been pointed out, distribution
  is in in all cases possible.

Basically it is a little bit longer variant of the "In short:" text
displayed below the license text box in the installer.  What about
replacing the text in the license box with the above paragraph and add a
pointer to the README file?  The text should also prominently tell that
there are no restrictions at all on using the software; the different
licenses are only about distribution.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner