[Gpg4win-devel] Multilanguage Compendium

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Jun 4 12:42:44 CEST 2016

On Wed,  1 Jun 2016 10:51, jochen at intevation.de said:

> I took a look at Orgmode and some difficulties occurred: Orgmode only seems to
> work with emacs. I don't want to kick off the old "emacs vs. vi" war [1], but

So what?  .tex only works with TeX, .odt only with Libreoffice or
Abiword, .gnumeric only with Gnumeric, .doc only with Word, .org only
with Emacs (on any platform, including Windows).  BUT: .org is a plain
text format and thus can be changed with any plain text editor and not
just with Emacs or Vi.  That is actually the huge advantage of orgmode.
You can process with all standard tools - only for rendering you need to
type "emacs --batch ...".

> this is a real issue. Most people in contact with gpg4win use Windows and the
> tools Windows provides and neither emacs, nor vi(m) are part of these tools.

Sure does Emacs work under Windows.  The Emacs hackers actually take
great care of not breaking their Windows port.  See
<https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/?EmacsForWindows>

> We want the translators to focus on the text only, therefore: the easier the
> markup-language, the better for the workflow.

> Another solution we found, was reStructuredText [2]. It is fairly
> minimalistic, can be translated with po files and there are multiple

A markup language without a feature to use source comments is missing
something important.  Restructed Text as weel as as MArkdown suffer from
this problem.

You can't use gettext for translations.  gettext is designed for the
translation of single short sentences.  A soon as youi wan to translate
a paragraph you will run into severe maintenance problems.  Don't even
consider this for a manual.

> way, the translator doesn't have to care about the layout or an editor and

Exactly, that is what org-mode is about.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

    /* EFH in Erkrath: https://alt-hochdahl.de/haus */