[Gpg4win-devel] How to contribute with translation

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at gnupg.org
Tue Apr 23 10:22:17 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Sunday 21 April 2019 22:29:25 Giuseppe Bertone wrote:
> Hi guys, I improved the italian localization of Gpg4win (following the
> guidelines I found at https://www.gpg4win.org/localize-gpg4win.html) but I
> can't understand the correct encoding to use.

Great, thanks!

> The web page says *don't use UTF8*, and in fact the it.po file on master
> branch uses *ISO-8859-1*, and I modified that file.

That is ok. If you send us the file or tell me where to pull it from I will
merge it. Currently the ISO-8859-1 variant is the "official" version.

> Recently though the *nsis-3 branch switched all .po files to UTF-8* (see
> https://dev.gnupg.org/rW84461da4b83ff4da08b1024054ba6bd5a21a4c73) without
> merging the changes to the master branch.

Yes, on the next debian version we have nsis-3 and then we can use UTF-8.
Gpg4win releases are always compiled on debian stable, which currently does
not have the Unicode version of NSIS. That is why I created a branch for me
as I'm already on the next debian version. ;-) Sorry for the confusion.

> So, do we need to maintain two separated files since now? Or also master
> will soon become UTF-8?

I have a script to convert all the local translation files to UTF-8. So If you
update the ISO-8859-1 version I can just convert it to UTF-8.

When debian buster is released we will switch fully to UTF-8. All our other
translations use UTF-8 already.

Thanks for contributing!
Best Regards,
Andre

--
GnuPG.com - a brand of g10 Code, the GnuPG experts.

g10 Code GmbH, Erkrath/Germany, AG Wuppertal HRB14459
GF Werner Koch, USt-Id DE215605608, www.g10code.com.

GnuPG e.V., Rochusstr. 44, D-40479 Düsseldorf.  VR 11482 Düsseldorf
Vorstand: W.Koch, M.Gollowitzer, A.Heinecke.    Mail: board at gnupg.org
Finanzamt D-Altstadt, St-Nr: 103/5923/1779.   Tel: +49-2104-4938799