[Gpg4win-users-en] 1.9.8 beta problems

Ronan Waide waider at waider.ie
Thu Oct 9 16:28:59 CEST 2008

On Tue, October 7, 2008 11:00,
gpg4win-users-en-request at wald.intevation.org wrote:
> Did you see http://www.gpg4win.de/reporting-bugs.html ?
> Next step is to try to see why GPGOl fails.

I've been stepping through that, yes. I've just done a fresh install of
1.9.8 beta:
- uninstall 1.1.3
- remove registry keys as indicated in the readme file (shouldn't the
installer do this?)
- installed 1.9.8 beta using admin user
- I was not prompted to reboot, although the readme file suggests this may
be necessary
- logged out admin user, logged in my own user, started outlook
- got a dialogue box telling me I was using a new GPGol, and that I should
check settings via Options menu (it's actually Tools->Options->GPGol, but
that's not important)
- set options to PGP/MIME signing by default, since that's what I want.
(no default encryption, no S/MIME)
- compose a new email
- click 'send'

At this point, nothing more happens. The mail does not get sent, and the
only thing I can do is close the sending window.

Rebooted the machine after this to try again, in case that made any
difference; this time, on starting Outlook I got a dialogue box reading:

"The user interface server is not available or does not work. Using an
internal user interface. This is limited to the PGP/MIME protocol and thus
S/MIME protected message are not readable."

This seems to be caused by Kleopatra taking too long to start up, so I
restarted Outlook after Kleopatra was running, and again tried sending a
test email, with the same results as above.

> You should see about the gpgol Debug log.

On gpg4win 1.x, this is configurable through the GPGol tab in Outlook's
options dialog. Where is it in the new version? There's just a button
saying 'Crypto Engine' which brings up the config window for Kleopatra.

>> I'm using Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)
>
> Which operating system version?

Sorry, forgot to include that in the original mail. Windows XP
Professional Version 2002 SP2.

Cheers,
Waider.
--