[Gpg4win-users-en] 1.9.8 beta problems

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 14 09:13:56 CEST 2008

On Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2008, Ronan Waide wrote:
> On Tue, October 7, 2008 11:00,
>
> gpg4win-users-en-request at wald.intevation.org wrote:
> > Did you see http://www.gpg4win.de/reporting-bugs.html ?
> > Next step is to try to see why GPGOl fails.
>
> I've been stepping through that, yes.

Thanks, this is very helpful for the analysis.

> I've just done a fresh install of
> 1.9.8 beta:
> - uninstall 1.1.3
> - remove registry keys as indicated in the readme file (shouldn't the
> installer do this?)

(Yes the installer should do this, but 1.9.8 has not seen all the
improvement from the migration tests yet, thus we had to put it into
the readme.)

> - installed 1.9.8 beta using admin user
> - I was not prompted to reboot, although the readme file suggests this may
> be necessary

You get prompted sometimes, in the cases that are necessary.
Of course a reboot and retest is always a good idea if you have strange
behaviour on windows.

> - logged out admin user, logged in my own user, started outlook
> - got a dialogue box telling me I was using a new GPGol, and that I should
> check settings via Options menu (it's actually Tools->Options->GPGol, but
> that's not important)
> - set options to PGP/MIME signing by default, since that's what I want.
> (no default encryption, no S/MIME)

Please try to enable (not select) S/MIME to see if this changes the behaviour
if you savely can.

> - compose a new email
> - click 'send'
>
> At this point, nothing more happens. The mail does not get sent, and the
> only thing I can do is close the sending window.
>
> Rebooted the machine after this to try again, in case that made any
> difference; this time, on starting Outlook I got a dialogue box reading:
>
> "The user interface server is not available or does not work. Using an
> internal user interface. This is limited to the PGP/MIME protocol and thus
> S/MIME protected message are not readable."
>
> This seems to be caused by Kleopatra taking too long to start up, so I
> restarted Outlook after Kleopatra was running, and again tried sending a
> test email, with the same results as above.

Yes, good.

> > You should see about the gpgol Debug log.
>
> On gpg4win 1.x, this is configurable through the GPGol tab in Outlook's
> options dialog. Where is it in the new version? There's just a button
> saying 'Crypto Engine' which brings up the config window for Kleopatra.

You need to enable it via the registry, see 24.2 from
http://gpg4win.de/handbuecher/fehler-in-den-gpg4win-programmen-aufspueren.html
(sorry in German, but here is the summary)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GpgOL
enableDebug to 1 or higher
logFile e.g. to C:\TEMP\gpgol.log.

> >> I'm using Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)
> >
> > Which operating system version?
>
> Sorry, forgot to include that in the original mail. Windows XP
> Professional Version 2002 SP2.

We have more tests with Outlook 2007 scheduled, so there might be some defects
in there that the OL 2003 does not have.

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)