[Gpg4win-users-en] Passphrases in gpg4win

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 16 16:58:48 CEST 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:57, andrew at earth.co.zw said:

> Want to migrate from PGP Desktop 9.0 to gpg4win; after installing gpg4win I
> cannot use the pass phrase (70 characters long) from PGP because it seems to
> be too long to be entered into the textbox presented by gpg4.

We have a limit of about 100 somewhere.  If you use a lot of non-ascii
characters you may hit the limit due to the utf-8 encoding.  This is
not very likely, though.

I guess that PGP uses the patented IDEA algorithm to protect the key.
This is not supported.  The simplest workaround is to set the passphrase
to empty with PGP and set it again with GnuPG.  Change the passphrase
with GPG might also help; iirc, they don't use IDEA anymore for new
passphrases.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner