[Gpg4win-users-en] How do I just encrypt text?

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Tue Feb 11 06:27:37 CET 2014

On 2/10/2014 4:03 PM, Animedude Johnson wrote:
> I want an option to be able to encrypt text (not a file, which may or
> may not be a text file), but I don't want it to be limited to email as
> with the Outlook extension. I want to be able to use GPG4Win to encrypt
> some text that I type, and then encrypt it, so that I can then paste the
> encrypted text into any place that the intnded recipient might find it
> (such as a public forum, but only the intended recipient would be able
> to decrypt it). It would be a way to hide secret messages in plain
> sight. Is this possible to do with GPG4win? If not, please add this
> feature in a later version.

Yes it is possible.

If you have the Key Manager open, look for the "Clipboard" button on the
toolbar.  (Or use the Windows -> Clipboard menu option.)

You can put text into there, then use the Encrypt button to turn it into
ASCII-armored encrypted text.  Then copy/paste to your destination.

We use this to store passwords to our various servers and network
equipment.  One text file per piece of equipment.  It works because
there's only 3 of us who need the passwords in an emergency and we all
have each other's public keys.  I also use it to store information about
websites, bank accounts, etc. for personal use.  With the advantage that
I can just attach the text file (or paste it) to an email and send it to
one of my email accounts for backup.