[Gpg4win-users-en] Gpg4win: Keopatra and "gpg --encrypt", both hang

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 30 10:47:37 CET 2014

Hi Samuel,

thanks for trying Gpg4win!

On Thursday 30 January 2014 at 05:09:50, Samuel B. Quiring wrote:
> I have installed gpg4win 2.2.1.  When I start kleopatra from the command
> line or by double-clicking the .exe from Window Explorer it never launches
> a GUI.  In the task manager I see kleopatra.exe using 50% of the CPU until
> I kill it.

Sometimes a "security" product prevents the interprocess communication
via local TCP connections that the crypto components use.
For an experiment you could try to disable such products.
What version of windows are you using?

> When I type this command:
>
> $ gpg --output edit.txt2.crypt --encrypt --recipient blah at blah.com
>
> Where blah at blah.com is the email address on one of my keys, gpg never
> returns, but it is not using much (if any) cpu.  Finally I kill it with
> ctrl-c.  It does generate a small file, but when I try to decrypt it, I get
> errors:
>
> 2048-bit RSA key, ID 46260496, created 2013-12-26 (main key ID D03DB332)
> gpg: AllowSetForegroundWindow(13020) failed: Access is denied.
> gpg: [don't know]: 1st length byte missing
>
> Other gpg (or gpg2) commands work ok.  I was able to create keys.  I can
> generate a new keypair.  I can add a subkey.
>
> For the two commands that are hanging, are there logfiles generated
> anywhere?  I defined the environment variable KLEOPATRA_LOGDIR in my user
> variables (not in System variables), but no logfiles ever get put there.

On the command line try the following flags to see a bit more:
  gpg2 --debug-all -vvv

> I would like to get this working, but I'm stumped.
>
> -Sam

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner