[Gpg4win-users-en] Why are my encrypted files AUTOMATICALLY decrypting?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 31 15:47:53 CEST 2015

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 00:35, gpg4win at yahoo.cotse.net said:

> I just installed GPGShell to try and find an alternative to Kleopatra.
>  It did the same exact thing...it just decrypted without asking me for
> a passphrase...WTF?

Sure that you set a passphrase for your private key?  It is not a severe
problem not to set a passphrase but in case someone gets access to your
disk they can use your private key and thus decrypt or impersonate you.
The passphrase on the key makes this harder because they need to find
out the passphrase first.

That has nothing to do with being insecure - the encryption uses
public-key encryption which does not require a passphrase at all - you
only need the corresponding private key (sometime also called secret
key) for the public key which has been used for encryption.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner