[Gpg4win-users-en] Correspondents cannot open "Signed & Encrypted" messages

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Mar 5 08:10:13 CET 2018

Hi,

On Sunday 4 March 2018 13:40:40 CET David Koch wrote:
> I've reported this problem before.  I recently ran a series of careful
> tests with the same results as earlier.  If I "sign" a message, then
> "encrypt" it, then attach it to an email message, my correspondents
> cannot open it.  But if I only "encrypt" the message, attach it to an
> email, then my correspondents are able to decrypt it.

Why don't you just sign&encrypt in one step? This can be done for OpenPGP and
is easier.

> Today I did some additional looking.  I made up a test message,
> "Test.txt", then "signed" it only.  The result was a file named
> "Test.txt.pgp".  When I attempt to look at, open, or decrypt the file I
> get the error message: "An error occurred: Kleopatra: Could not open
> file "C:/.../Test.txt" for reading: Input/output error (218136625)".
>
> I'm not sure if this result is as it should be, or if something is
> wrong.  Should I be able to read or open a "signed" message?

I think that the probelem is that if you only Sign Kleopatra creates what is
called a "Detached" signature. This means the .pgp file only contains the
signature and you need the original file to "verify" the signature.

For example for our installers there is the small ~1kb signature https://
files.gpg4win.org/gpg4win-3.0.3.exe.sig over the large 33MB installier and you
can use the small signature to verify the large installer file.

My advice would be to just sign&encrypt in one step. This should result in the
form you are looking for: Signed and Encrypted content in one single file.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/