[Gpg4win-users-en] Correspondents cannot open attached Signed messages - Additional

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Wed May 23 08:58:10 CEST 2018

Hi,

On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:42:04 AM CEST David Koch wrote:
> Previously I wrote that my correspondents could not open Signed and
> Encrypted attachments.  You asked me to send you a test file, which I
> did.  Recently we had an interesting result.
>
> One correspondent decided to give Gpg4win a try.  Then he saw something
> related to my problem above.  He had been using OpenPGP Studio from
> <https://www.goanywhere.com/openpgp-studio/download>.  He found that
> using OpenPGP Studio he could open attachments that were Encrypted with
> Gpg4win, but could NOT open attachments Signed and Encrypted with
> Gpg4win.  I then tried the test with a second correspondent and he
> reported the same results.

> So, it seems that as long as I and all my correspondents use Gpg4win, we
> can open both Encrypted and also Signed and Encrypted attachments.  But
> using OpenPGP Studio does not work for Signed and Encrypted messages
> from Gpg4win.

Ok, so as I suggested in march the problem is on the receivers side. Their
client probably doesn't fully implement the latest OpenPGP standard or has
some bug that is triggered by your messages.

The best would be to ask OpenPGP Studio developers why a signed & encrypted
message from you does not work. Maybe it is something trivial like that your
recipients do not have your public key imported and then it fails?

Alternatively GnuPG has various compatibility options for increased
compatibility with other clients.

In the man page ( e.g. https://linux.die.net/man/1/gpg ) there is a section on
"Interoperability".

The options are further described in the section "Compliance options"

Best Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/